On February 2nd (yes, my actual birthday) we took the kids to see the Harlem Globetrotters in Murray! (I am not counting this as a birthday celebration...because it was for the kids...but it was fun!) Keagan was initially invited by a "friend" and I thought the other kids would like to go too, so I purchased 5 more tickets for the rest of us. About a week before the event, Keagan was then disinvited by this "friend" and replaced by another of Keagan's "friends." Luckily I was able to purchase one more ticket, but it was right behind us...and even more lucky was that the Malones also bought tickets and were in line with the extra ticket we bought, so no one really had to sit alone. Keagan was pretty upset (as was this mama bear) but he learned a pretty significant life lesson about friendship that week. And he also learned that pretend friends, friends of convenience, and "friends" are not true friends...and he hasn't asked to hang out with those boys anymore. They tolerate each other at school, but Keagan says he isn't friends with them. And I am A-okay with that. And proud of how my boy handled it. (I won't lie though; seeing those boys -and the mama that thought that was ok- at the Globetrotters show made my eye twitch and hurt Keagan's heart. But I think he can agree, now that we are past it all, that he is better off!
| Getting to sit by Annie - a true friend |
No comments:
Post a Comment