May 30, 2016

Can we have a Camp-out?!

Finley has a new-found obsession with using out fire pit. We haven't used it since last summer but as the weather started getting warmer and Josh and I started the (arduous) process of removing the leaves from the back porch, Finn has started the incessant questioning of "When can we do a camp-out????" While irritating, he is quite effective because he doesn't stop until he gets his way. And he got his way.

What Finn doesn't understand is that we aren't actually camping out...just using the fire pit. But he loves marshmallows (aka "shmarsh-mallow-ows") and this is really all he cares about. So Josh and I decided to do dinner over the fire pit (hotdogs) and then have s'mores. What sounded like a great family adventure to kick off the beginning of summer was actually a pain in the rear end, and the boys have zero patience to cook anything. Good thing I snapped some pictures right at the beginning of the adventure because less than 5 minutes in, they were not interested at all. 

While Josh and I cooked, the boys drove all around the back porch. We begged them to come help. No way.

Because of their lack of interest in helping roast anything, we basically let the fire die down. By the time dinner was over (they take a sweet-forever to eat), we basically made s'mores over a smoldering fire. The marshmallows roasted beautifully and tasted great. But again, the lack of patience meant Josh and I did most of the work, and Finn basically decided un-roasted marshmallows were good enough. So he ate them straight from the bag (occasionally putting them on the "stick" first, but not in the fire).

Everyone looks thrilled in this first picture. Ha...that about sums up the "camp-out" adventure. I did tell them all to look a little happier in the next series of pictures!

AND then there is this...

No comments:

Post a Comment