October 7, 2016

Life's a Beach! (post 1)

You know our family loves the beach. It is only fitting that we introduce Maclyn to the beach just about as soon as she is out of the womb. I mean, duh.
(I won't lie, we booked this vacation while I was still pregnant and I truly thought "No big deal. Third kid...I know what I am doing." Wrong. Right after she was born I was scared to death to go, but she actually has gotten easier and easier -as far as babies go- and so by the time it was time to load up and go I wasn't as scared.)
So we loaded up the van (thank God for the VAN!) and got an early start. The kids were fantastic (even Finley) and we got down to Destin in record time. 

Our awesome travel time and experience meant we weren't ready to kill anyone and we had time to hit the beach for a bit before supper. The boys couldn't hide their enthusiasm to get their toes in the sand. They squealed and ran all along the sand. We told them not to get wet and to put just their feet in the water, but that was a silly request because these boys could not resist actual swimming. After all, it was their vacation too. So we watched them get completely drenched and enjoy every second. And we introduced Baby Mac to the sights and sounds of our favorite vacation spot. She seemed to like it (or maybe she was just thrilled to be out of her carseat).

After changing the boys into dry clothes we ran to get some supper. We decided to try Dewey Destin's on the docks...basically a shack of a restaurant and you eat on the boat docks. It was so good, we ate there another night during our vacation. 

Maclyn slept through the night for the first time, our first night in the condo. It was phenomenal!! (She actually slept through the night most of the nights while we were down there, too.) And boy did I have a happy girl that first morning! She and I watched the sunrise out on the balcony. This is a favorite thing for me to do, while listening to the waves crash on the shore.  


Breakfast on the balcony...another favorite!

An early morning snooze with Daddy!

Our first full day on the beach! Oh it was HOT! Maclyn did well, though she didn't like the heat and we eventually lost the swimsuit. We did have a pop-up tent for her to stay shaded and her bouncy seat to nap in, so that helped. She fussed quite a bit that first day until we could figure out how to make her happy. She wanted to nurse more often, but I also get hungrier and thirstier on the beach so I obliged her. Besides, I had nothing else to do but chill so why not nurse a baby! She was such a good girl that we were able to go to the beach and/or the pool nearly all day, every day of our vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment