February 10, 2018

August 21, 2017 - Total Solar Eclipse

On August 21, 2017, we experienced something that we may never fully experience again in this lifetime! A Total Solar Eclipse. Our region was in the path of totality and very near the longest duration of totality. The hype on this day had been building for a couple years leading up to August 21st, but I don't think anyone realized just how awesome the event was going to be.

I signed up to run a virtual 5K with some friends in Paducah with our half-way point to be a stopping point to watch the eclipse. We had our glasses ready and set out on a super-hot run.  Along the way we would pause to enjoy the unusual shadows from the partial eclipse and we'd put on our gasses and look up to see the progress. 

Total Eclipse!! Had to be blocked by clouds...but cool nonetheless.

Looked like dusk/early evening at 1:30 in the afternoon. Super strange feeling. And it even cooled down significantly!

The cloud went away! This is the best I could get of the Total Eclipse with my phone. See the dot in the middle of the glowing circle?? That's the moon!!

While I was running and watching the eclipse in Paducah, my kids were enjoying an eclipse party at MeeMee's Clubhouse (their babysitter), complete with MoonPies!! Yumm!

Finley's faces as he watched the moon approach totality over the sun make me laugh! So thankful she took pictures of my kids experiencing this once-in-a-lifetime event!!
During totality!! Looks like nighttime!! (you can look at the total eclipse without the glasses during this point)

An internet photo that a professional took of what was happening. Really one of the neatest science events ever. I love to see God's miraculous creations in action! And I am so glad my kids were able to experience it too!! (they still talk about it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment