December 16, 2016

Baby Mac - 5 months

Well, a week late...but Baby Maclyn is now 5 months old! Whoo hoo! What does that mean? Nothing! Except time is flying and I am struggling to stay on top of my picture taking and blogging and anything besides real-life survival during this super crazy season.

But Oh! what a joy this sweet baby is. As we are in the Christmas season I often reflect on the peace that Mary must have felt when she held her sweet baby Jesus. And sometimes as I hold my little girl I feel that total and utter peace, where all is right in the world. And I thank God for his multitude of blessings bestowed upon our family.

Maclyn is a very happy and content baby. If she is awake and all things are taken care of (clean diaper, fed, etc) she is all smiles and coos. She will make eyes at a stranger and crack a grin. Sometimes she even flirts with her eyebrows. It is adorable and will make even the toughest of men melt. Mac's facial expressions are pretty funny, and I look forward to watching the personality develop behind those expressions. Right now she likes to suck in either her top or bottom lip and she will sometimes smile while sucking them in (pure talent) and she loos like a little old lady.

Maclyn hasn't improved at all in her mobility. She will do tummy time and she will do back time. She hasn't rolled at all and really doesn't seem to care to. She will reach for toys in all directions but when she can't get them she moves on to something else. She watches her brothers a lot but at this point doesn't care to get them or do anything but watch. I float between worry and wishing she'd roll to chill and happy she's staying a baby longer. I am fairly certain that all 3 of my children are destined to hit motor milestones later than "typical" because I am a physical therapist. And because I am a PT, I most certainly have checked her for motor tone and strength and all checks out normal. So I suppose I need to just err on the side of enjoying this baby as a baby as long as I can.

Maclyn is finally taking a bottle better. It is like the rolling, she's got to want it. If she's hungry she will take it. Otherwise, don't even try. She is finally sleeping through the night IN HER OWN CRIB IN HER ROOM! (yes, I screamed that!). She still doesn't go to bed easy consistently and we pray every night that she will stay asleep after I lay her down. You never know. Last night she screamed her head off (and would smile when I came in) for an hour and a half. Tonight she went down great (so far). Bedtime's like a box of chocolates: ya never know whatcha gonna get. (channel Forrest Gump)

Freaky monitor picture of the baby in her crib for the first time.

So small in her big-girl crib!

I was trying to get her to nap and she wouldn't stop screaming when I walked out of the room. So I sat in the chair...and she stared at me!

Once she was moved to her own crib she suddenly started waking up in the middle of the night. It was killing me and so I decided to try cereal. I had intended to wait until she was 6 months old to begin solids, but desperate times call for desperate measures. So the day she turned 5 months old I made a Walmart run to get rice cereal and we tried it that night! It went over great AND sister slept allllll night long that night, and has continued to do so. No turning back!

The boys are still in love with their baby sister. It is super sweet how they beg to hold her, talk to her to encourage her to talk back, kiss on her any chance they get. They love her so much and even though the boys have been rough together, and are tending to drive me crazy, I am beyond thankful that they love their baby so much. I never knew how much our family needed this baby girl until she got here.

No comments:

Post a Comment