When we finally got to Texas and relaxed a little bit, and could look at our youngest child again, we started building Legos. (the boys were mentally checking off their to-do list.) Grandpa helped Finn, I ended up helping Keagan so we could go to bed at a decent time...!
The next day we all went to The Thinkery, a children's science/hands-on museum, in downtown Austin. The boys absolutely loved it! Finn still talks about it and asks at least daily when we can go back to The Thinkery again!
I think these two were bored, or tired of thinking at The Thinkery...or maybe they were contemplating the physics of the rope jungle gym in front of them?
The water-play area was super fun for the boys. Finley especially LOVED it. What I noticed between the two boys during our time in The Thinkery was that Finn just wanted to play and touch and run around like a crazy beast making sure he at least touched every station. Keagan actually spent time at the stations he visited, participated in making the station "work" and you could almost see the wheels spinning in his little head. At the water area, the water builds in a tower of buckets until the buckets are full and they all empty so water comes splashing down...Keagan was very interested in timing the whole process just right and then would run away quickly. Finn just wanted to get everyone and everything as wet as he possibly could, including a little boy who stood in the same spot and begged the other kids around him to not get him wet. Not sure why this child insisted on staying in there but, bless his heart, he was gonna get soaked if Finn had anything to do with it. I could have stepped in, but I didn't want to get wet...and after all it IS water play!!
Next stop at the Thinkery was a produce stand/kitchen and Finn went NUTS! He loves to play pretend and spent a lot of time "shopping" and "cooking" up random meals and serving them to us. Keagan spent most of his time gathering eggs from the pretend chicken coop but was running so fast I couldn't get his picture!
I love-love-love watching my children be children. I expect a lot of them on a daily basis, and for the most part they are very well-behaved little boys. As most kids do, they live in a hectic.grown-up world and don't have the opportunity to be children as often as they should. This museum was fantastic in that everything and every station was with little kids in mind. One of our last stations was an art area, and Finn quickly painted on the window then ran off to find something else fun to do. Keagan sat for a long time with Josh and made his Aunt Hannah a card.
No comments:
Post a Comment