I don't even think it is technically summer, but the temps here in Kentucky say otherwise. About a week after we returned from Texas, the boys convinced me to get them a little swimming pool. Honestly, it didn't take too much convincing because I knew I would also beach myself in it (but I didn't tell them that. I used this to my advantage...you parents out there know what I mean!). But what I had in mind for my boys (and what we had room for) and what I purchased and got myself roped into were two VERY different things.
My plans were to find a blow-up pool that was deep enough and big enough for the boys to toodle around in. They try and swim in the bathtub so I knew that criteria would be easy to meet. I also didn't want to spend a bunch of money, because unfortunately kiddie pools don't really last through more than one season, no matter how much patchwork you do! SO off to Walmart I went, boys in tow...because, you know, I enjoy making important decisions while corralling little boys and fielding 1,002 unrelated questions. While in the aisle, I mainly only looked at pool size/depth and price. The one we ended up getting was the "biggest bang for my buck," coming in at $48 and nearly 3 feet deep, 10 feet across. I had actually done some online reviews of this pool, and they weren't the greatest, but considering my above criteria and the fact that much smaller pools were going for just a little less I went for it. I loaded the heavy box into my cart, the kids went nuts (though Finn flipped because he thought it would be a HUGE pool and wouldn't be able to swim, then the thought it was a TINY pool and said I couldn't get in there with him because I would take up all the room. I cannot figure him out), and I picked up some goggles and pool rings and toys. Then home we went.
When I opened the box I was met with TWO booklets of instructions - both in English and both important. Instructions for a pool?!! Then I pulled out the pool. It was HUGE. I didn't really know where to put it. When I envisioned a blow-up pool I was thinking we'd drain it and refill it as we used it. Um, this was looking to be a permanent summer structure in our back yard. Josh was a little irritated, he didn't want it on the grass because it would kill the grass (I got that) and so I had to put it on the porch. As I got part way through the instructions, they told me to hook up the pump. Um...pump?! Do I have to?! Don't get me wrong, I saw the pump when I purchased, but I thought it was optional. Not really. SO I hooked it up. This simple summer project was taking HOURS. I went ahead and let the boys get in at one point because they were running around in swimsuits begging to go swimming. Patience is not their virtue. (they come by that honest)
I'd say the boys were pretty happy with the pool. It took about 4 hours to fill that sucker up. We went inside to eat supper then went back out to the pool, which still wasn't full. As I watched them play and laid down some ground rules (realizing this was, indeed, going to be a permanent structure in our yard this summer), I patted myself on the back. I am a pretty darn good mom. Ha. I got my kids a "real" swimming pool. (go with me here. it has a pump) I still didn't realize how "real" this pool was until later that night...
After the boys were dried off and the sun had gone down, I was reviewing the instruction booklet for how/when to turn the pump on and I realized that this pool requires chemicals. What the what?!!!??? So I made plans to hit up Walmart for said chemicals and really thought it was going to be an easy process. Wrong. First I had to find the darn pool chemical aisle, it wasn't where I found the pool which would be all too easy and smart. When I was directed to where I needed to go I rounded the corner and my eyes got super wide. So.Many.Options and So.Expensive. I started looking at my list (I brought the instruction books!) and looking at the prices. The chemicals were going to cost MORE than the stupid pool. Face palm. I was getting sweaty, just wanted to go home and drain the pool and bring it back. BUT the first paper I encountered when I opened the pool box was a yellow-alert paper that said to not return it to the store it was purchased. I should've known. The only saving grace in this whole debacle is I didn't bring the boys this time. I felt like my eyes were glazing over as I walked from one end of the aisle to the other, looking up and down, but not sure what I needed. I finally called my Mom in a mild panic, and had her walk me through what I needed right now, and what I could wait on. (Thanks MOM!!!!!!!!) I walked out a slight bit more confident and ready to tackle this chemistry experiment in the form of a pool.
The funny thing is as I was getting ready to check out with my basket of pool chemicals and a pool net, I saw three young women joyfully pushing a cart containing the same pool. They were clearly anticipating fun, lazy summer days tanning in the backyard and talking about their fingernails and boyfriends then hopping into this pool to cool off briefly. I had half a mind to stop them, show them my basket, and tell them to turn around and put it back. But I didn't...learning lessons are good for us all. And I didn't want to be the "old" lady that told them this wasn't what they thought it was.
With all this said we have enjoyed this little pool. The boys have played in it some and while they were visiting with Josh's parents for the weekend, Josh and I got a chance to enjoy it. It isn't huge, but it is refreshing. And the size is perfect for two little boys. Maybe we will try and take care of this pool so it will be around next year!







No comments:
Post a Comment