June 16, 2012

Lazy Beach Days

That IS what it's all about, right? When I first met Josh he wasn't too much into just laying on the beach, but he has become a regular beach bum! And we are trying hard to make our child the same way. Last year Keagan didn't much care for the sand and water in the beginning, but he got used to both and by the end of that trip Keagan was bobbing along in the ocean with us. This year was a whole different story! I had no idea what to expect. I (wrongly) assumed he would be all over the place, running towards the water, running in the sand, just running everywhere. So very, very wrong. Keagan didn't love the sand. In fact, every day we had to re-acquaint him with it and convince him that he didn't need shoes! He would eventually be okay with the sand and play...but he pretty much stayed in the same place all day long! As for the ocean...well, that just did not happen. Keagan was less than thrilled with the ocean from Day 1. We tried every day to get him interested in it. But when we would walk along the beach, if the water came anywhere near him he would run (and I mean BOLT!) in the opposite direction. In his defense, the waves were huge and there was a red flag warning every day (a swim-at-your-own-risk type of thing). One day they wouldn't let anyone in the water because of rip currents. I only got in up to my thighs once, realized the under-current was really strong, and fearing I would fall I walked back to my lounge chair. Josh got in every day that he could!

The first day we spent with my parents on the beach.  My parents were coincidentally vacationing in Destin also! They came with some friends and camped along the beach. They brought some cool beach toys that Keagan was super-interested in!
Playing with grandma on the beach.
 First time in the water-his face says it all. It never got better.

 A typical day...

Keagan is screaming in the picture below. He was pretty angry that I had forced him from his "safe spot" under the umbrella and put him close to the water. I wanted to take a picture of him with "2012" written in the sand...since we had done the same thing the year before. He really wasn't having it. Back to his safe spot...and the third picture below shows the ritualistic "fetching of the waters" so Keagan could play in the water with his toys. He asked for this every day!! 

Finally getting Keagan to run down the beach. This kid is such a Ladies Man; he would stop and look up at all the girls in bikinis and then say Hi! and keep going. They would giggle, tell us how cute he was, and we would all walk on. He'd be the perfect "accessory" for a single guy to get girls! Sad...too bad for Josh I was there! ;)
 

Keagan's favorite place to hang out all vacation was at the pool... this is up next!

4 comments:

  1. Such cute pictures. Pray tell - where did you get those clever little flamingo towel clippie thingies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wal-Mart!!!! Aren't they neat and special!? Josh was a bit too manly for his parrot ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE those last few pictures. Such a precious smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FUN! I love your polka dot bathing suit!!

    ReplyDelete