January 7, 2012

When You Say Nothing At All

My sweet "baby" boy is now 18 months old (well, we are actually working toward 19 months...but who is counting?).  At his latest check-up we learned that Keagan is a little bit behind in his speech.  Well, I say we "learned" but really, it was confirmed.  Keagan has been behind in everything since he was born, yet he has always managed to play a good game of catch-up (he was born a month early, but I tend to think that's "not that much").  He sat at nearly 7 months old, crawled at almost 10 months, and began walking well into his 15th month.  Our (wonderful) pediatrician is very milestone-oriented and has always questioned his motor development.  I, too, am overly concerned with milestones (I can't help it--part of my education and career).  Pair me and Dr. Tara together and sweet Keagan doesn't stand a chance!  BUT on the upside, I feel like if there were a true delay it would be caught.  For instance, at his 9-month appointment when he still wasn't crawling, she had an X-ray done of his hips (something that was supposed to be done at 6 weeks b/c he was born breech, but wasn't per his first pediatrician).  Luckily the X-ray showed nothing to be concerned with, and I was told to just work with Keagan on more tummy time and weight-bearing.  Can Do! 

So fast-forward 9 months to his 18 month appointment.  Keagan is doing great with his motor development (finally, no concerns from his physical therapist-mommy!), and his social development is off the charts...this kid has a ton of personality and is very appropriate in his behaviors in different circumstances.  Some things Dr. Tara was looking for:  does he problem-solve? Yes.  does he point to familiar objects in a book?  Sure does.  does he know where his body parts are?  Absolutely...Keagan, show Dr. Tara your belly button.  is he talking like other kids his age? Well, um. No.  how many words does he say? Well, um. Maybe 4? But he doesn't even say Mommy. 

We discussed his speech for a bit then it was decided that a First Steps evaluation would probably be good to see if Keagan needs speech therapy.  A very nice lady from First Steps called me a couple weeks later and told me all that would happen: she'd send a questionnaire and we would then have a phone interview to discuss the answers, she would then plot them on a grid that was age-adjusted for his pre-maturity at birth.  We went through the whole thing, and it was decided that Keagan didn't need speech therapy!  He was actually right on target for his adjusted age and would probably catch up quickly.  This is something we figured from the get-go, but figured we'd go with the speech therapy if that's what was necessary because it couldn't hurt.  But it is so nice to know that we don't have to go there!

Funny thing is, since this all took place just a few short weeks ago, Keagan now has an arsenal of words:
please (pa-weeeeese...and is extra sweet and drawn-out if he really wants something)
thank you (daank-ooh)
tractor (tracor)
truck
duck
dog
basketball (bas-ba-baa)
Cats! (Cas! with a fist pump.  as in Goooooo Cats!)
blue berries (ba-baarr)
Bubble Guppies (bubble guppy, sometimes just bub.  this is a show on nick jr. that he LOVES and asks for constantly)
dada
Oscar (he loves to call to Oscar when we let him out to go potty...funny)
cheese (much like please)
uh-oh (sounds like uh-oh)

And JUST TONIGHT, he said "mama" for the first time!  And said it and said it and said it.  It brought tears to my eyes.  I've been waiting to hear my name for 18 months.  I swear, it's the second best sound I have ever heard (first was his meow-cry when he was first born).

Keagan also makes a lot of sound effects:  he roars, makes truck sounds, helicopter and airplane sounds (with hand gestures to show that his hand is flying!), blows (as in bubbles, dandelions, hot food).  And he communicates a lot with sign-language.

All-in-all, I am beginning to think he might just be a little bit like his daddy:  a man of few words! :)   But it is so wonderful to see his rapid progression from 4 words three weeks ago to an ever-expanding vocabulary today.  And best of all, to hear him call me by my "new" name tonight.  I feel like I have just been given an award!!
Getting some snuggle-time in (rare!) during an episode of Bubble Guppies.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - that is awesome the progress in just a few short weeks! I am hoping Austin will follow in his footsteps :) And that pic of you two is precious, what a sweet little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwww!! There's nothing like hearing mama come from your little one for the first time. . . . Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete