Deep Thoughts, by Janine Owens
- My face skin, although never perfect, has really taken on a whole new level as a war zone.
- Certain smells really bring on the nausea: cocoa butter lotions, food cooking (especially chicken), Oscar's breath, most shampoos.
- Pre-pregnancy, I would wake up feeling happily thin and too much food would bloat my stomach, but a run and some sit-ups were a cure-all. Now, I feel fat and bloated 24/7, I can't get motivated to run as much as I used to, and I can't do sit-ups anymore (per my doctor). Added "bonus": sucking in my stomach is true thing of the past.
- I have to do housework and laundry in shifts, and it is a weekly process, due to nausea and extreme exhaustion. This also partially applies to my morning getting-ready routine. Is this nature's way of telling me that after the baby comes my chores will be shift-work?
- Baby toys are representative of puppy toys (at least in Oscar's eyes, see pic below).
- Getting up only once at night to pee is a small victory, especially when it is typically three times a night.
- Speaking of peeing: water is incredibly boring, but the only beverage that truly quenches my thirst. It is my beverage of "choice" morning, noon, and night. Glasses tend to be scattered throughout the house (much to Josh's dismay).
- A ponytail holder is not just for hair; it doubles as a button hole extender. This has most recently become useful as my belly extends past my waistband and is incredibly uncomfortable. I am not yet ready for maternity jeans, but am past the point of return for my regular waistbands(I often wonder am I "showing" too early? Is this normal? Am I gaining weight too quickly?)
- The discussion of baby names has taken over our lives; every name we see/hear gets thrown into the conversation and then, typically, vetoed. We cannot agree, therefore we cannot decide. Hopefully knowing the sex of the baby will help the discussion.
- The sex of the baby: some people have actually asked me if I have "feelings" about what I am having. Do women actually "feel" this early on? I mean, all I can feel is nausea, gas, and bloat. I did cave and check out some online Chinese Lunar sex predictor to see what it said. I am not saying, but if it is right I will let you know. There's a 50-50 chance, right?
- Food is a double edged sword: without it I am nauseous, with too much of it I get sick. I have yet to find the happy medium.
- I have had cravings, but they are fleeting. PBandJ sandwiches, Shocktart and Spree Candy, Subway Tunafish sandwiches (over this one now, ate too much...), grapefruit. Grapefruit has prevailed the longest...my day is not complete without one and I have been eating them for over a month now.
This is all that I can think of right now. I will refresh this list occasionally with new and seemingly important thoughts from my "quiet time". For now, I leave you with a belly pic comparison, baby's first gifts, and what Oscar thinks of them.
5 Weeks Along 12 Weeks Preggers
And, no, I am not sticking my stomach out in the 12week pic. It just IS that way, and I don't think it is baby quite yet...I think it is pure bloat! Ugh...but I thought I'd share. Also, note that the back end has also grown (is that baby?!!)....
Baby O's first gifts, from G and G Perkins, Aunt Hannah, and Uncle Wesley
Oscar reaaaaaalllly wanted to play with the baby's toy! When told "No, Oscar, that's for the baby," he looked at me like, "But, I AM the baby!" Poor dog, he's in for a rude awakening.
OMW - if I could have commented below each bulleted item I would have but that would be a seriously lengthly comment. I will instead resort to commenting on the most pressing bullets. Without further ado:
ReplyDelete*Your skin will bounce back - I promise. Hang in there.
*No, you are not gaining weight too fast and although you "think" your rear is getting bigger IT ISN'T, however, if it did - that would be totally NORMAL!
*Let's take a moment to reflect on the fact that in your 12 week photo you are still skinner than like 99.9% of your friends, mmmmkay? Nuff said!
*As for the sex thing - I did the Chinese thing too and I was so totally convinced because of that and my "feelings" that I was in SHOCK when they told me I was having a girl. So.....do with that info. what you will.
*I had lots of random thoughts too when I was preggo - I also had what I like to refer to as "spidey senses" - I could hear EVERYTHING. Seriously - it was like my husband was breathing through a megaphone at night during sleepy time. So frustrating. Glad you are just thinking and not overly sensitively hearing. Does that even make sense? Whatever!
*Ummmmm.....what happened to the Izze? I thought it was working for you? Suck!
*love the baby toys. Love that your rent's sent them to you - precious.
*I would take a chewed up toy anyday over EVERYTHING being COATED in animal hair. Just thought I would give you the silver lining.
Thats all. Amen.
What a great post. I just have to comment on a few of your deep thoughts.
ReplyDelete- yes, that is nature's way of telling you that after the baby arrives chores will be shift work. everything becomes shift work.
- baby toys are VERY representative of dog toys. really. and, there is no teaching either baby or dog the difference.
- if you are already peeing three times a night just wait. seriously. the frequency of night peeing becomes insane!
- you are not "showing" too early. you are tiny! it gets fun when you actually look pregnant. i looked like i had a beer belly for some time before people actually knew. try belly bands. they are outstanding.
- don't worry about baby names too much. it is still early in the game. and, it is a lot of fun just throwing them out there. i was sad when we actually decided on a few.
- i guess some people might have "feelings" about the sex of their baby. i did, but it was wrong. we didn't find out the gender of our baby until she was born (and this was incredibly exciting, i might add...have you thought about waiting?). and, the chinese chart thingy was wrong too.
ok. that's it. sorry for the long comment. i just had to!
-
I am still so excited for you!!!!! I have another friend who is also super-skinny like you, who is also pregnant, and she started showing at about 12-14 weeks too. Now she's really coming along and due in April. At least you have something to blame the bloat on!
ReplyDeleteI hope to see you guys soon!
Add me to the list of people with an opinon on other people's pregnancies ;0)
ReplyDeleteThe face- I can totally relate. Mine cleared up nicely around the middle of the second trimester. Recently, however, ugh. The only downside to breastfeeding is the inability to take anything for it. The weight loss and bonding aspect totally make up for it, though ;0)
The smells- totally normal.
Don't bother to suck in- pregnancy is probably the only time in your life that it's cool to just let it all hang out. Enjoy it!!
Is this nature's way of telling me that after the baby comes my chores will be shift-work? Yes. Your shifts eventually occur when the baby is sleeping or Josh is holding him/her.
Night peeing- that will only get worse, I am sorry to say ;0( Wait until you throw in the wicked heartburn and aching hip/back into the mix. I actually got more sleep when she arrived than I did when I was pregnant.
Skinny people show earlier. You will feel much better once you get out of the "is that a baby or a beer gut" phase. On the flip side of the coin, a chick at my office went on maternity leave and several people said "I didn't even know she was pregnant." OUCH!
My sex predictor was wrong as were our "feeling". You know how that turned out ;0)
The cravings come and go, and I think with some people they are worse. Mine was root beer floats, but it didn't kick in until mid-third trimester. And I needed one. every. night.
Even though pregnancy has its aches and pains (literally), if you take the bad with a grain of salt, it is wonderful. After the birth, you realize that in the grand scheme of life, it is such a short time.
I am so excited for you guys. You will learn so much about yourself, your body and your relationship. I know you guys will make awesome parents.
Linds, Crystal, and Julie: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the long comments and the helpful hints. I didn't mean to come across so negative in this post! Hehehee, but am brutally honest. It's just quite funny to take the step back and see the true changes your body is going through.
ReplyDeleteMy poor skin lady (I get a peel monthly) said tonight that my skin was worse than ever (bless me! sigh)...but she promised its a phase...she's so nice.
I am gaining, but guess it's healthier than losing, right? :) Oh well, I am truly eating "healthy" or at least trying....and I don't down myself for it. It's just weird to see this odd shape take form!
Glad to know the Chinese sex thing is hooey...not that I was bummed about the sex, just felt stupid for putting so much faith in it! Crystal, I wish I could wait like you, but I am such a ridonc planner that nothing is surprising in my life! HA!
Glad random thoughts are normal and frequent. I don't have "spidey senses" but my sniffer can smell B.O. from 150 feet away! ugh...the joys of healthcare.
Linds, the Izze is A-MA-ZING...it just makes me so dang gassy that I have to be careful when I drink it..it makes me dangerous! (I can blow the covers off the bed...)
Oscar still hates me for putting up "his" new toy...oh if he only knew what he was in for!
The peeing thing scares me, seriously. Question: did you guys do kegels?
What are belly bands, Crystal? are those the things that you hold your pants up with when they are unbuttoned?
Girls, how do you get over your OCD for having/keeping the house clean??? hehehe...will this eventually fade with the pimples and nausea?
Yeah, Jules, I would MUCH rather have it the way I have it: showing too early and people at least KNOW I am pregs...poor gal.
Girls, I really appreciate your opinions (keep them coming!), this is why I post such nonsense. I know I am not the first person to have a baby, but on the flip side it is so new to me that I would rather hear girlfriend's true-life accounts than read it in my "what to expect" book. So glad to be joining forces with such wonderful mommies as you all!!
I laughed out loud reading your post. I can empathize with all of your comments. I will say that doing things in shifts changes more into your 2nd trimester and you have a lot more energy...but now I have to be careful not to do too much at once! You look so pretty in your pictures! With me there was a time around 14-18 weeks where I just looked like I had eaten too much...I purposefully wore maternity tops so I could actually look pregnant!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your sweet comment on my blog. We did do the genetic testing. We had a hard time deciding whether we wanted to or not but ultimately decided we wanted to know either way...it's so hard to decide! Oh and every little test or chinese calendar that predicts the sex of the baby was wrong for us!
Hope all continues to go well with you...take care of yourself!