July 30, 2018

Happy 6th Birthday Finn!!

With every celebrated birthday of each of my children I struggle that another year has passed. I am learning that this is a normal feeling, and I have heard that as your children get bigger the years go even faster. This makes me very sad. Maybe that is why we love to celebrate birthdays in our family. And as you have probably concluded, we tend to go overboard. While the parties this year weren't to my typical standards (a newborn throws a wrench in plans) I believe my kids still enjoyed themselves.

The last of my summer babies just celebrated his 6th birthday with a party at our local splash pad. Finley has been planning his party for quite sometime, but in true Finley fashion, he could not decide exactly what he wanted and, though we decided on and booked the splash pad months ago, he tried to change his mind at the last minute. Finn has a tendency to be a tad demanding (he has always been this way) and we "lovingly" tease him about his Negative Nancy/Debbie Downer/Sad Sack/Party Pooper ways. Josh and I were a bit anxious about the birthday party meeting Finley's expectations, and we really didn't want him to be his own party's pooper (because he can totally be that).

Luckily, Finn thoroughly enjoyed his party, his friends, his food, and his presents. The party went off without a hitch and it was an easy party to throw. He asked for a sports theme and so that's exactly what we did! And he asked for a cookie cake (done) and pizza (and done). The kids all had a very good time!

Finn and Korbin

So funny, but the boys and girls separated themselves at different tables!

Party Goers!!!  Fun bunch of kids!

Sweet Ivy was even a pretty good girl and let people love on her!!

Present time!! Finley was hilarious about his presents this year. When asked by family what he wanted for his birthday his list had specific items to be purchased by specific people. Pool ring from Gamma and Poppy. Emoji poop coffee cup from his brother. Electric toothbrush and "ball shooter" from Daddy. Craft stuff from Mommy. When I asked him what he wanted Grandma and Grandpa to get him he replied Pictionary and a metal detector. The kid knows what he wants. Always has. And guess what? He got all those random things. 

More water play before the party ended.

Jillian and Finley (this little girl is Finn's "girlfriend" ... but to be honest, I don't think she feels the same about him. haha!)

A walk down memory lane...birthday parties past!

And now I am crying. My second baby is no longer a baby. He is a big boy, and he wants to be a big boy. He used to say that he promised to stay my little boy, but here lately he wants to move to California. I'm praying we change that before he is old enough. (Uncle Wesley, if you are reading this, you are the reason he wants to move to California. And Disney Land. But he's never been there....)

Finn's actual birthday was the day after the party, I told him he couldn't say he was 6 until then. Haha! He took it seriously and I overheard him tell some of his friends at his party that he was still only 5. Ha! On his actual birthday we opened family presents and I let him pick what he wanted for supper. He chose chocolate chip pancakes and bacon. My kind of kid!

Trying to figure out what Grandma and Grandpa bought him. He wondered how they knew he asked for a metal detector from them because he didn't tell them, I guess he doesn't think I talk to my parents ever?!!

Happy 6th Birthday to my spunky and sweet Finley. You keep me on my toes, always have and probably always will. You can simultaneously make me angry and make me laugh. I love your passion, even if it gets overwhelming, and I know you will do big things with it. I thank God that he chose me to be your Mama. Now, if you could slow down your growing up I would be much happier, mmmkay?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment