December 27, 2014

Gingerbread Choo-Choo

When I lived with my parents I remember enjoying making a gingerbread house at Christmastime. So when I came across a gingerbread train I thought the boys would really enjoy putting it together...and boy, did they ever! The only "problem" is I had to get over my OCD tendencies so this would be fun for them, and no-stress for me. You see, I like things to turn out like the picture. Whether that is my hair style, my house, or crafts...including what my children do. I have let a lot of these expectations go as I have gotten older and/or had kids, but this is who I am and will likely always be. So, there was a lot of mental preparation leading up to the gingerbread train process. And it went great. I decided, in my mental prep, that I would pipe on the icing where the boys wanted, and they could decorate with whatever candies they wanted. It was fun! I learned something about my boys: Keagan is like me and is a perfectionist, and he followed the picture. Finn could care less about decorating, he preferred to taste-test. But they both had so much fun and were very proud of their creation.

Starting the process. Finn's new "smile" when a camera comes out is pretty hilarious!! And check him out eyeing the candy in the second picture...

Meticulous decorating by Keagan...

Finn taste-testing the icing...and maybe applying some candy. I think I decorated the majority of Finn's train. He did some, but ate most of the candy he touched. 

Reading the directions...?

 The final product and some seriously funny faces.

1 comment:

  1. So funny that Finn seems to take such a liking to icing and candy but not his birthday cakes. Whaaaa???? Their little posed smiles are a riot - I'm familiar with such expressions in this household. I suppose when we jam a camera in their face at every turn they will be less enthusiastic with their expressions. Oh well. I say document on and I take whatever looks/poses I can get these days. Keagans pose with the finished product where his knee is up and he's got his elbow on it - I seriously laughed out loud. It's like: "hey baby, check out my train...mmmhmmm thats right (said in a super deep voice). Bahahaha.

    ReplyDelete