November 27, 2012

Four Months Old

Finley had his 4 month well-baby check up today. I say this weekly, but it really is hard for me to believe that he is already 4 months old. And Keagan is almost two-and-a-half. At 4 months old, Finn is weighing in at 16lbs 2 oz (75th percentile) and is 26 inches long (85th percentile). I have felt that this baby was huge. And in my mind he is WAY bigger than Keagan was at 4 months. But you might be surprised to learn that he really isn't. I guess in my mind Keagan is tiny because he was small at birth. I need to get this out of my head because Keagan is not tiny. And Finn is not huge, not even compared to Keagan at this age! Keagan was 14lbs 7 oz and 25.5" long. So, really not a huge difference!
 

At four months, Finley is:
  • still passionate. He wants what he wants when he wants it. And when he doesn't get it (say, when he strapped in the carseat and we are driving down the road, or when I am working with Keagan on something..) he screams. I do mean all-out-blood-curdling screams. And then he loses his breath. Then tears spray from his eyes. It makes you jump-to when he starts to fuss because you know that it won't be long (read: 20 seconds) until those gentle fusses turn into run-for-the-hills screams. Not kidding.
  • loving, snuggly, and flirty. Especially with his mommy. He could hold me all day long. And he loves to rub his face in me. He is a great nurser and this is my default setting when I don't know how else to soothe him. Works every time.
  • finicky. In fact, his teachers have nick-named him Finicky Finley because he doesn't take a bottle well. Still. He wants mommy and mommy only (see above). I thought we were past this, but just yesterday he didn't take his bottle well, and then he didn't take one at all today. Lovely.
  • still sleeping in his bassinet beside my bed. I am a sucker...but it is so darn convenient. This is going to have to change soon though because he is about to out-grow the bassinet.
  • not consistent in his sleeping pattern. The past two nights he has slept completely through the night. But the week prior to that he was waking once to nurse, and just before that twice. But prior to this he was sleeping through the night. Basically I go to bed not knowing when or how often I will be woken up.
 
Finley doesn't like:
  • being in his carseat. In fact he screams most of the time. Unless he is really tired, then he will sleep. But if he is awake and strapped in, better have some ear plugs.
  • being left alone.
  • taking his medicine/vitamins...but he is getting better with it.
  • evenings. For some reason evenings are rough...they have always been but it doesn't seem to be improving. The kid could nurse straight from 6 to 10 at night if I would let him.
 

Finley likes:
  • playing on his playmat, reaching for the toys. He tolerates tummy-time but doesn't love it. He can't roll just yet, but I think it will happen soon. Then we will never keep him on his tummy.
  • milk. Specifically from me, and not from a bottle. Josh once explained to Finn that taking a bottle was like getting take-out: same food, different container.
  • his brother. Keagan moves fast and has neat toys...and Finley likes to watch him
  • diaper changes. Thankfully, he doesn't pitch a fit with diaper changes. I actually think if he could talk he would thank me after I changed his diaper.
  • bath time...and he likes to kick-kick-kick and drench me and everything around me.
  • having his fuzzy head rubbed. But who doesn't?

Here's my chunky Keagan when he was 4 months old...I am starting to see some resemblance (especially in the above pic of Finley)...

2 comments:

  1. Little stud! Love the pics - he's such a handsome little thing.

    ReplyDelete