FIRST: We Marched for Babies (especially Keagan)
And we raised $800 for March of Dimes. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! As I mentioned, this is a very personal philanthropy for our family and I am proud to announce that Team Owens raised the most money for a New Team! ("Top New Team" award!) We also were 9th overall in fundraising! So, while I wasn't doing this for any awards, I really do appreciate YOUR support. And so do all the babies who will be born early. Please know it didn't go unnoticed. We also almost won the t-shirt contest!! Thank you, Tassie for all your support in this endeavor and for walking with us. (Even though we only walked a little b/c of the thunderstorms...gotta love spring weather)
This was a special moment: This is my friend (and sorority sister and college roommate) Dawn and her son Jackson. Here is why this is special: When I first found out that I was having problems in the tail-end of my pregnancy I had to go to Labor-and-Delivery to have steroid shots to beef up Keagan's lungs to prepare for an early birth. While at the hospital Josh and I walked down to the Nursery and who do I see standing at the window? Dawn! She was looking at her new baby boy, born 5 weeks premature. I was a mess, crying over everything that the Doctor had just told me and the fear of the unknown, and Dawn offered me a comforting hug and an "It WILL be ok" as she looked upon her own newborn preemie in the nursery, unable to hold him. This was the last time I saw her, and then we met again (and our boys met!) at the March of Dimes walk. It was a wonderful moment. I cannot wait to get these boys together again! Dawn, you will probably never understand how it felt to see you that fateful day, after not seeing you for over 5 years since college.
SECOND: Happy Mother's Day
This morning was not only Mother's Day, but Keagan's baby dedication at church. From the day Josh and I decided to start a family, we knew we wanted our family to be active in a church. We have been incredibly fortunate to find a church home here in Benton, and there are so many other young couples with young babies (BOYS!) who Keagan can grow up with. Josh's parents were able to be here with us to experience this special day. After church we went to Cracker Barrel to celebrate Mother's Day!
After all the festivities, Keagan went for a little swim! He loved it! I am going to try and get him into swim lessons this summer...
THIRD: BELEW'S!!!
Need I say more?? OK, probably for those who don't live here. Belew's is a seasonal dairy bar and they have the best hamburgers...onion rings...shakes...ice cream. I can't narrow it down. It is legendary down here in these parts. This was Keagan's first trip of many! (It was also Gama and Poppy's first trip...)
Gama got some SERIOUS Keagan lovin' this afternoon!!!
Can't go to Belew's and not have ice cream!!
Love the T-shirts y'all made for the walk - so neat! I feel like I experience both the walk and the dedication with you through pictures. I'm sure it made for a special Mother's Day - it sure did for us.
ReplyDeleteAren't first experiences (pool) so flippin' fun!?
He's such a sweetie. I can't wait to see him again.
Love you!
Oh my gosh, Janine! You made me cry! :) I'm so glad we saw you in the hospital that day...college was a crazy time, and I know we didn't always have the best relationship. But I am convinced that once you know you're going to be a mommy, you begin to see the world in a different way. Things that used to matter, don't anymore. And you become much more in-tune to what's going on around you. I know you were scared, and Big K had a few bumps along the way - but look at him now!! He's a doll baby!!
ReplyDeleteBy the way - I think your weekend WAS my weekend! We did the Walk. Sunday was J's dedication, and then we ate at Cracker Barrel. Not even joking. How funny is that?!