February 11, 2019

EIGHT (8!) Months!!!

My sweet Ivy girl is 8 months old (on January 31st) and every day she blesses our family more and more. The only problem I have found is that the time is flying, and with her being my last baby, I am already missing her teeny baby ways. It isn't fair that newborn days are fogged by postpartum hormones and super fatigue.

Ivy Mae (aka Wubs, Wubbie, Baby Wubbie, Wub Wub, Mae, Mae-Mae..) is seriously the happiest, easiest baby on the planet. She isn't always happy 100% of the time, but she really is the majority of the time. The only time she fusses is when she is hungry, tired, or has a dirty diaper. Or sometimes when Mommy isn't in her line of sight. Obviously, if she is bothered by her siblings to the point of hurting her (it happens) or she rolls herself into a tight spot, she gets upset. But by nature, she is content and smiley all the time. She is still the highlight of her sister's day and Maclyn absolutely loves for Wubbie to play with her or take baths with her or eat with her. And when Ivy wakes up in the morning, Mac is the first to welcome her out of her room! (Her brothers also still fight over who gets to hold her first)


Ivy rolls everywhere nowadays. In fact, she never stays where we put her anymore. She is pretty efficient and will roll to get what she wants. I have seen her army crawl on her belly once to try and get my phone (which was playing "Baby Shark" on youtube) but she hasn't fully mastered that yet. She can sit independently and reaches all different directions to get toys. Another favorite motor skill of Ivy's is bearing weight on her feet. She has done this for quite some time when you hold her up in a standing position, but in her bouncy toy she will actually stand for several seconds with very little support. Ivy's newest thing that she does is wave to people. It doesn't happen immediately and it isn't obvious because it looks like she is fanning herself, but it is a tried-and-true wave! And it's pretty cute. She also says DaDaDaDaDa all the time! (ssshhhh we won't tell Daddy that this is her first "word" because it is the easiest "noise" for babies to make...he's pretty thrilled that all 4 babies said his name first)


Ivy loves her baby food. She eats just about everything, but I have noticed that she is starting to be discriminating against peas and avocado. She will gag and carry on. So I disguise it in applesauce and down-the-hatch it goes! I read something that it takes a baby 6-10 times of trying a new food before they like it, so I think about this with all foods. But she has had peas 10+ times and the reaction is the same. The girl doesn't like peas. Avocados are still new, so the jury is still out. I am not making my own baby food with Ivy. I just don't have time. I did make avocado and I plan to do mango and cauliflower, but I am only making the "unusual" foods because it is just easier to buy already-made. But dang-it! It is NOT CHEAP. I realize how much I saved our family making food for the other three!! That plus nursing 4 babies! I would love to add up how much I saved our family there...(just sayin')  Speaking of nursing, Ivy is down to 5 sessions in 24 hours. If she sleeps through the night she eats 5 times through the waking hours, otherwise she nurses once at night (typically).

Sort of along the lines of food, Ivy has two very prominent bottom teeth. And they are precious. (they weren't at first when she was learning to nurse with them...but all is good now) I don't have a good picture of them recently but they are full on teeth now, no more nubs! But if you stick a finger in there you may come back with just a nub because she has bit Josh! Despite her new chompers, Ivy isn't about using them to chew food. We have tried baby finger foods (yogurt melts) and she immediately pushes them out with her tongue. She despises them. (we still try though) This along with her weird dislike of her bottle as well as a straw cup makes me worry that she is gonna be one of those kids with weird texture issues. I'm doing my best to curb this, but ultimately this is one area where the kid has the most control! Can you see the nubs of teeth in the picture below? For a couple weeks while they were working their way in she would suck her lips over them as in the second picture below!

The past month was a tough one on Ivy. She ended up with RSV and we did breathing treatments and dealt with a lot (a LOT!) of sleep loss. She hated the breathing treatments, and hated even more how they made her feel. She would get downright angry after them, so imagine that in the middle of the night. Luckily I had some help from my big kids with some of the breathing treatments! Ivy's secretions were so thick that for a couple days she wasn't eating because she would cough and gag and throw up anything she had eaten. It was rough. Maclyn had been sick the week prior but managed it pretty well. Honestly the month of January was rough-rough-rough on our family.

Thankfully this was short-lived for sweet Ivy and we got our happy baby back! While she isn't consistently sleeping through the night, she has given us a few blissful full-nights of sleep here and there so I am hopeful she is on to something. Overall she wakes once a night to nurse and this is generally if she was at the babysitters (because, yes, she is still refusing to take a bottle there).

As much as I hate how fast time is flying (for all my kids, not just Ivy) I thoroughly enjoy watching my sweet girl come into her own. Her personality is wonderful and she really is just the most laid back, pleasant child, and the light in everyone's day. She sparks a lot of joy in my life!


No comments:

Post a Comment