March 17, 2017

2017 Upward Basketball

The boys just wrapped up their 2017 Upward Basketball season...and whew! it was a doozy.  It was a long season (almost 2 and a half months, games every Saturday) and it became frustrating at times due to inconsistent referee "rules." I know this is just part of sports, but as parents it was tough to sit on our hands and tame our mouths while other kids ran all over our boys and the refs/other coaches did nothing about it. But, on the flip side, I did watch my boys get a little handsy themselves...which is equally frustrating. Overall, it was a good season but I will not lie that I am glad that it is over! (Of course, soccer starts tomorrow...we don't get a free weekend!)

I have to brag on Finley, a bit, as he just isn't my sporty dude. He loved basketball (despite asking in the middle of each-and-every game, when it was going to be over)...he did much better than I ever dreamed he would. He tried, for the most part. During this season Finn learned to shoot a basketball correctly, learned to dribble AND run (though he did dribble with two hands at times), showed more aggressiveness that we ever dreamed he would, and learned to skip. This last skill was practiced more than I desired during games, up and down the court. The best part was he played every game, didn't run crying to me, and was the most joyful little kid on the court when he actually made a basket. It actually would bring tears to my eyes when he made a basket because I could just see him beaming and I knew his day was made!

I don't want to sound like I am putting one kid up on a pedestal over the others, but the truth is Keagan is my little athlete. He truly is good and he enjoys playing. He just gets the game, and he is a little baller. He cracks us up because every time he made a basket his walk had extra swagger. He needs good coaching to refine his skills to be a good offensive/defensive player, but the skills are truly there. We don't know where this came from because he certainly didn't get it from his momma or daddy! Not only was he fun to watch from the technical perspective, his sportsmanship and character really came through this season. There were many times I had to turn my head to keep from crying because this boy was such a good friend (or brother) throughout all the games. He would set up plays to help Finley get the ball and help clear space so he would get a chance to shoot. If kids on the other team got knocked down, he would help them up. He was aggressive but I could tell he knew when to back off. It really is nice to see that your kid is doing something right without being told to do it.

I didn't get many pictures of the boys in play because it is incredibly difficult to deal with a baby, yell at (to?) the boys, and keep ahold of my phone. So I took some, but not a lot. I lifted several from Stacey's Facebook page (thanks for picking up my slack, friend!). And there are some videos...not sure how good they are either, but if you want to see the boys in action (and/or hear me yell) then be sure to check them out. Keagan is #12 and Finley is #4, and luckily this year they were able to be on the same team!

Finley and Annie were paired up to guard each other during a few of our games.

Keagan and is best buddy Nick!

The boys were happy to see their buddy Hudson at the games, too!

 These last few pictures were taken after the Upward awards night on Monday

The boys loved their coaches!

Our babies are growing up!! These three...they are so funny together!

And now the multiple videos, for your viewing (and listening??) pleasure!


No comments:

Post a Comment