April 11, 2014

Wine Tasting!

So not many friends remember the specific day and time that they met. But when Tater Day (more specifically, the Tour de Tater, or Tater Trot 5K) is your "anniversary" then you will never, ever forget!! If you are curious about what the heck Tater Day is, google it. Or just use your imaginations. Or scroll back to my April blog posts of 2009 on the subject matter, because I was intrigued. I am no longer intrigued, I just want to get my jumbo corndog and get the heck out of dodge. So that is just what the Malone and the Owens GROWN-UPS did! (minus the jumbo corndog) We went to Southern Illinois to several (four?) wineries and did some wine-tasting to celebrate mine and Stacey's Anniversary! 5 years.  
 
Happy 5th Anniversary-of-our-Friendship, Stacey!
 
Stacey and I had been wanting to go wine tasting for quite some times. Years, really. But someone was always pregnant. But NOT THIS YEAR! And we had only one weekend where we might make it work, otherwise it would be November. And seriously, someone might be pregnant. Gah. Thankfully we were both able to get grandparents to travel in to watch the kiddos (shout out to Gama and Poppy!) so we could enjoy the beautiful weather, the wine, and the friendships.
 
 
Stop # 1- we finally made it after we "toured" the great state of Illinois in a few different directions. Being "lost" is more fun when you are with friends. I don't know how the boys felt but the girls were having fun!

Josh was very meticulous about his tasting regimen. He would never admit to it, but he is a wino.
Love birds!
Jarrett, you've come a long way with your smiles! It only takes once and we get a good smile from you!


Stop #2 - Quite the hippy little place. But good wine nonetheless. And good wine makes all the difference!
We got a sticker for trying all the wine! A gold sticker! :)

We are gonna do alllll of these in ONE day! Bottoms Up! (Ok, no not really...but I can't wait to go back!)
 
Stop #3 - My Favorite! Maybe it was that it was stop #3 and we had already loosened up. Or maybe it was the atmosphere? Or maybe it was truly that good. I loved this place though. 

Our fearless leader and non-wine drinker. You gotta have one in every bunch otherwise you don't get from one winery to the next!!
 
 
Stop #4 - they were closing so this one was a quick-stop to taste a few wines, pose with an owl picture, buy a bottle, and roll in the grass a little. 

And then the winery fun had to end...because UK was playing in the Final Four game. So we HAD to get to a TV stat! So we went back to our place to relieve Josh's parents because they were itching to get home. But when you have had a few glasses of wine and you have over an hour in the car and you have a camera, what do you do? Take pictures of yourself! So that's what we did!
I had to be READY. So I brought my Kentucky apparel with me...
Then Elton John showed up.

Then we made it home...and poor Stacey decided she didn't care to watch the Cats win. I know, right?! Who does this!? Oh well, she was in the same room with a TV with UK basketball on. So we will give her credit for this one!
Proof!

Oh and the Cats won this game. But in case you were living under a rock last week (Stacey?) they lost the championship game. Whomp whomp. Maybe next year!

2 comments:

  1. This looks like SO, SO, SO much fun. I would like to point out that what I may have enjoyed most about this post is the progression shown in each winery/sign photo - the first y'all are all happy and you're rockin' a cute pose (that only someone with go-go gadgets could rock), the second y'all are kind of goofin' off (after some wine has settled in) and making funny (squatting?) poses, the third one y'all are like leaning on the sign (whew this wine is DEEElicious!) and the fourth y'all are like hugging the sign posts and you're all "to hell with it, I'm hot and I'm putting my curled hair in a bun". My play by play not be accurate but in my mind that's what was happening and it's funny. It could only end appropriately with a trail of selfies followed by someone passing out. Looks like a blast. Cheers! ~hiccup~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you all had fun! I can't believe you've been there over 5 years! And so funny that you meat at tater day:) LOVE your orange shirt!

    ReplyDelete