The Motherload.
Limited Editionsssss
She's BaaAaaack!
JACKPOT! I've won the lottery!
or....
My Diet is Failing.
(and many, many more potential blog titles)
If you haven't guessed it, this blog is 100% about my limited edition problem. I guess it's really only a problem when I step on the scale, which I won't be doing tomorrow. So it isn't a problem. How about my limited edition "problem." If it is in quotation marks, it isn't really wrong. It has been a very long time since I've done a posting about my obsession with limited edition foods, mainly because I cannot find them in our part of the country. (So if you EVER find anything limited edition you want me to try...send it my way! I am truly obsessed. See also: WHERE ARE THE WATERMELON OREOS!?!!!!!!!). But my postings about ltd. ed. things have lacked because I've also tried to eat better. But this is only 1% of my reasoning...
So on with it!
My friend Jessica shares my obsession of chocolate, sweets, oreos, limited edition stuff...and her Aunt and Grandmother know about my feelings. So a while back (I am embarrassed to admit that it's been a while...) Josh came home with a surprise that Mama Jean and Aunt Marilyn had dropped off at Walgreens for him to give to me (pretty much the sweetest thing ever): It was the limited edition JACKPOT!!! She had found chocolate covered Lays potato chips, pumpkin spice M&Ms, and candy corn Oreos. SAY WHAT?!! And I added that to my very own stash of candy cane Oreos, gingerbread M&Ms, and gingerbread Twix. So let's get down to it. I am going to order this in order from least liked to most liked (i.e. I would blow my diet any day).
1) Gingerbread M&Ms
These were definitely not my favorite. Maybe it was my frame of mind. Maybe it was my hormones. Maybe you can only have gingerbread flavored things at certain times of the year and January isn't one of them. Anyways, I ate one, then twisted the bag up and put it back in the pantry. I don't throw sugar away, so I am certain on a day of desperation these will reappear. And be rapidly eaten. So even though they were my least favorite, I will consume all of them I am sure.
2) Gingerbread Twix
Similar thoughts on these as the M&Ms, however the gingerbread flavor isn't nearly as strong nor as fake. And maybe it is the cookie crisp wafer of the Twix that makes the brain OK with the gingerbread flavor?? These will likely be consumed rather quickly, not because they are delicious or anything, but because they have that texture that my mouth craves in sugar. I'm weird. But again, no sugar is bad sugar...
3) Candy Cane Oreos
Actually pretty good. But you have to be in a Christmas spirit to eat these. I opened the package a while ago and they haven't been consumed completely yet. Keagan really likes them. Finn, too. But they really just like the cream filling and leave the cookie. (my OCD tendencies do not allow this to happen, so I then force them to eat the chocolate wafer. Waste not, want not. Don't call CPS on me please.) But I think the main reason they aren't gone yet is Christmastime is FILLED to the BRIM with sweets and goodies and any sensible person (I am only half-sensible) has to prioritize. Oreos have preservatives, homemade sugar cookies do not. Homemade goodies come first. Then the overly processed/packaged goodies. But in reality, I am not a huge peppermint fan. I like mint, just not candy-cane type mint. But these were Limited Edition, so they basically had my name on them. Duh.
4) Pumpkin Spice M&Ms
These are weird. But I liked them! OK, I guess I need to be completely candid. I didn't love them at first, but then they grew on me. And before I knew it I had eaten an entire bag within a mere few days, by myself (I was given TWO bags! Jackpot!). I am guessing this same phenomenon will occur once I dive into the gingerbread flavored candy. I know me. But this candy is pumpkin flavored. And I pretty much love anything pumpkin flavored. So these fit the bill. And once I got over the strange sensation of pumpkin being in an M&M I was obviously good with these.
5) Candy Corn Oreos
Um. YES. These are good! I haven't eaten the entire package yet, but that will happen too soon, I fear. I don't know how many I will share of these. Not worried a thing about Josh eating them, but I am worried about Keagan and Finn getting wind of these. (you laugh...but these boys can smell it all...and they know when something's been opened.) Admittedly, I was leery of these. I tried the candy corn M&Ms that came out a while back (they were actually ltd ed at first..but then I think you can get them every Halloween now...sheesh, takes the fun out of it) and I really DID NOT LIKE THEM. They were funky. So I was scared that the Oreos would turn me off too. But nope. Pray for me. And my thighs.6) Chocolate-covered Lays potato chips.
These deserve an O.M.Geeeeeee. They are squeally good. I mean, you think chocolate covered pretzels are good...THESE are good!!!!! The chocolate is like butter (and I don't mean fat content) and melts in your mouth immediately. The crunch of the chip is not sabotaged or soggied by the chocolate. These.Are.Amazing. One problem: it is a snack sized bag. OK, two problems: it is a snack sized bag with 4 servings in it. So a serving is essentially two chips. The latter is less of a problem to me than the fact that I only have a few chips to consume and then they are GONE. And I will probably never eat these again. I need a tissue. It really breaks my heart to never have these in my life again. Seriously...delicious. (But I didn't finish them tonight...I ate a few, shared one chip with Josh, then hid them...bwahahahaaaa.)
OK, I need to see a psychologist now. And maybe a dietitian? Nah...just my treadmill. But seriously...this has been one of the most fun blog postings to prepare, photograph and write about. I have improved my addiction in one way: when I see a limited edition food item I have to have, I only buy two. I used to buy four or five just in case I loved them. So I have made some positive changes in my life. Admitting a problem is the first part of changing, right? Why don't vegetables come in limited edition?!
[I would LOVE your input: have you tried any of these? Anything else you know about that I don't yet...?]









I just typed a paragraph (literally) - and it got erased somehow so now you get the Cliff Notes because it's 9:18 and I'm a zombie. I was just introduced to Gingerbread M&M's today and wasn't super crazy about them but like you - ate them because hi, it's chocolate and chocolate is delicious. I'm not an oreo fan so I've not tried those. I had NO IDEA PS M&M's existed but now I feel compelled to find them, try them and will most likely love them. I never saw them out - where did you get them?
ReplyDeleteI love this post! It made me so happy:) Those chips look and sound yummy! I know Trader Joe's has some chocolate covered chips but I've never tried them. I think I might need to buy them now! Oh and next Christmas you need to try the Candy Cane Joe Joe's from TJ. They aren't just CC flavored. There are little tiny bits of cc in the frosting. OH MY. I bought two boxes. But I haven't finished the second box because you're right, mint after Christmas just isn't the same. (I should have brought them to the lakehouse!!)
ReplyDelete