April 3, 2012

When Dandelions Aren't Annoying

This is the time of year that those pesky dandelions start showing up in yards around town. Some yards are more "blessed" than others. Some yards look like a soft-fuzzy and I just want to pet it!!! Those fluffy balls of seeds have always been my nemesis. Josh used to make fun of me because I would have a "spray" to kill weeds and bugs or treat plants with certain chemicals for optimal growth. I would always say, "Just spray it with something." (and it will be "fixed") So when I saw fuzzy dandelion seed balls popping up, I would pray the wind would blow the seeds to the neighbor's yard. Whatever you do, don't blow the balls of seeds!!!

Well. Yea. That all changed when one of Keagan's favorite books (I am a Bunny, by Richard Scarry) shows a bunny named Nicholas blowing dandelion seeds. When we get to this point of the book, Keagan starts making blowing sounds. It's great! So when those first fuzzy balls started popping up, I threw caution to the wind and showed Keagan how to blow dandelion seeds into the air (and, yes I admit it, I directed him towards the neighbors.) I was hoping to get some awesome pictures of him actually participating in spreading the "joy" of dandelions, but he much preferred to shake the balls of seeds. And he got mad when I tried to make him actually blow them. But we had a good time anyways. Oh. And now, there are dandelions EVERYWHERE (no kidding). But there's a spray for that!


Happy Spring, everyone! And Happy Dandelion Killing Season. (But before you do, blow a few and allow yourself to be a kid again...it is very liberating!)
__________________________________________________
A gentle reminder: I am walking in the March of Dimes walk on May 5th and am raising money to fund research and programs that help moms have full-term pregnancies and babies begin healthy lives. And your donation will also be used to bring comfort and information to families with a baby in newborn intensive care (this is where I was directly touched). I sincerely hope that you will consider giving to this organization. You can support me and my team here:
And to see my original blog post with more information, go here.
Thank you again to those who have generously given. You have not only supported me, but you have supported babies and families that you don't even know.
__________________________________________________

3 comments:

  1. So sweet! What you won't do for your kids, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! Though it looks like the seeds don't taste very good. Love the post and pictures.
    Oh, and that was one of my favorite books growing up too and I still have it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures - such a sweet boy! I hate dandelions too, but we've blown a ton of them all over both our old yard and new - it's just something you do for your kiddoes! I've never seen that book, but it looks precious. Yay for a posting!

    ReplyDelete