April 15, 2012

A Busy, Busy Week (24!)

This has been a big week! A very fun, exciting week. A very, very busy week. But I love weeks that keep our family hopping and remind us just what life is about. This week, some dear friends of ours welcomed a new baby into their family. Keagan's best friend EJ became a big brother!! And we were so lucky to be able to help Dana and Kerry out by "watching" EJ the day baby Ethan was born...they think we were doing them a favor but it was more of a favor to us because Keagan LOVED it!! Who wouldn't love to spend the afternoon with their best friend? I picked EJ up from his Grandmother's house and told him we were going to go meet his new baby brother soon. His response: "I wanna go get Keagan." Priorities. (But, trust us, he was more than excited when we eventually pulled into the parking garage at the hospital.) These boys had so much fun and Josh and I had a blast as well! Here are some funny pics I got of the boys...and I thought taking a picture of one moving body was tough! I think you can see the excitement written all over Keagan's face.


A Family of Four! EJ meets his baby brother Ethan. Absolutely precious and it brought tears to my eyes.

Dana had a bunch of gifts for EJ to open when he came to the hospital to meet his baby brother. Keagan did pretty good for a while, but once he saw that EJ was playing up on the bed with cool toys, he wanted "up up" too! Dana was a champ...she let both boys crawl into her hospital bed with her and play. While the boys played, Josh and I were reminded of how it felt to hold a newborn. (Let me point out, however, that this newborn was a whopping 3 pounds heavier than Keagan was! Little 5'-tall Dana had an 8#8oz baby!) The next day, all Keagan could talk about was EJ's "bobay" (phonetic for how he says baby) and when asked if he wants a baby of his own, his response is a very affirmative "mhmm!" So, I hope that he still feels that way when Finley comes! :)


Fast-forward a few days...some home renovations took place this weekend. Well, I should be more specific, they were started but not completely finished. We don't do anything around the house in a timely fashion. First home renovation: changing the fan in our two-story livingroom. Nearly two years ago (right after we brought Keagan home from the hospital) our living room fan went out. This fan is impossible to reach without a very tall ladder, and that isn't very safe when talking about fixing it/changing it out/etc. So, there it remained and collected dust for nearly two years. Unworking. Until about a week ago, Josh got a wild hair and ordered a new fan, rented scaffolding, and proceeded to change out the fan. I am extra thankful because just the thought of going through a hot summer very pregnant and without a fan made me swell. Thing is, scaffolding is not something that can be assembled by one person. Sooooo, since Josh works allllll weekend, we have scaffold stuff in our livingroom (and will be here probably until tomorrow). But, PRAISE JESUS!, our friend Jarrett came over late last night to help Josh get the third row of scaffold up and the fan replaced (thank you thank you thank you!). So while I am currently watching TV through a gridline of scaffolding, I am at least being cooled by a working fan!


Old, non-working fan. And Josh attempting to put scaffolding up by himself.

New fan!! And scaffold still up as a weekend fixture in our livingroom.

I also started painting the nursery this weekend. Josh was working this weekend. That means I was also a full-time mommy while I attempted to paint. Hmmm. Not smart. I started in the morning, realized I wasn't going to get very far (because toddlers like to put fingers/hands in paint, throw toys out an open window, lean up against freshly painted walls, run laps around furniture placed in the  middle of the room while chasing the dog and tripping on the plastic drop cloth), so I waited until nap-time and banked on his usual 2-3 hour nap to get a big chunk knocked out. Um, riiiiiiiiiiiiight. How about a 30 min nap? Not enough time to get anything done. So, needless to say I was up late finishing the base coats! Oh well. It will get done. I did snap this picture of Keagan watching Kung Fu Panda-2 on the computer, but realize this was early in the game (and mommy was very naive at this point) and only lasted about 20 minutes. HA!

Lastly: I hit 24 weeks this weekend. Hard for me to believe! I am feeling good and energetic (thank God, because otherwise the above would have been oh-so-difficult) and I am also feeling large-and-in-charge. I truly think my butt and belly are growing at a rapidly equal pace. I step on the scale and nearly pee on myself from disbelief. But Josh (lovingly) reminds me that big belly=healthy baby and that the last pregnancy we didn't have either. So this is a good thing. I know why my weight is increasing. I am hungry all the time. I mean, so hungry my tummy growls. So I eat. I am walking and pushing Keagan in his stroller about an hour a day, 5 days a week, so I am getting good exercise...but the scale just keeps going up up up. And I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday. I am scared.
In other 24-week news: Finley is insanely active. I mean, all the time. It is wonderful...and what I missed most once Keagan was born. I always try to imagine just where in my belly he is laying, and sometimes I feel like he balls up really tight then lets his arms and his legs go as quickly as he can...because I feel movement on either side of my belly at the same time. I do not sleep well at all. This is new in the last month. I am up to pee 2-3 times a night (nothing unusual) but I can't get back to sleep. I hear everything and I know when the sun is coming up. Sigh. But it doesn't seem to be affecting my energy level, so that's ok. I am waiting for a crash though. Morning sickness is gone. GONE! Yay! And now we are a-looking forward to our Jamaican babymoon in two weeks!

__________________________________________________
A gentle reminder: I am walking in the March of Dimes walk on May 5th and am raising money to fund research and programs that help moms have full-term pregnancies and babies begin healthy lives. And your donation will also be used to bring comfort and information to families with a baby in newborn intensive care (this is where I was directly touched). I sincerely hope that you will consider giving to this organization. You can support me and my team here:
And to see my original blog post with more information, go here.
Thank you again to those who have generously given. You have not only supported me, but you have supported babies and families that you don't even know.
__________________________________________________

3 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that you tackled painting by yourself. It took all my energy to keep Adalyn away from J while he was painting this weekend. I can't wait to see the finished product! Lindsy told me how you were painting it and it will look so cute!!

    Oh and i completely understand the belly growing thing! All of the sudden all of my shirts that fit fine last week are starting to get tight. Oh and I'm hungry all the time. I can never feel full. oh well. It's a phase:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm about to have to comment in Janine'ish fashion - buckle your seat belt!
    1. EJ and Keagan pics - so super cute ~ clearly they are bff's!
    2. The baby = presh! Excited to be holding my own little teeny bundle of joy soon. Did you remember that K was exactly that same weight at birth? Craziness!
    3. I love that Keagan is all up in her lap at the hospital - definite signs y'all are close buds: very sweet of her to share her bed.
    4. The shorts J has on @ hospital Tim wore yesterday - totally useless piece of info. except it made me giggle. Next time they go to get haircuts together they should wear their matching shorts: ha!
    5. So glad you have a new fan - girl, the cover stripping has begun at my house and I'm an inferno!
    6. I can't wait to see the finished product of the bedroom ~ I'm sure it will be awesome.
    7. You look amazing and I'm super jealous you can find the time to walk for an hour 5 days a week. My excuse - it's way harder to push two kids and the weather sucks. #I feel better now...not so envious ;)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby: It isn't my shirts that are the problem...it is my dang pants. But BUTT has grown! WOW. But, yes, you are right: It is a phase. A season of life. And I can tell myself this (and enjoy being pregnant) until I step on the dern scale. Grrr. Why do I even own one?!

    Lindsy: I love the way you commented. You know that "fashion" is the way I think...and Lord Help Me if I don't bullet point or number my thoughts! HA!!! And I now have to respond to a couple of your points:
    1. YES. They LOVE eachother and it brings (happy!) tears to my eyes that my child has a BFF.
    2. I forgot that Kennedy was that big! D-dang, girl. I pray for 7 lbs even. Ha!!
    3. Um, yes. Keagan knows no boundaries. And Dana is a sweetheart for it. I don't know if I am that sweet (remember my bed sharing incident night before the wedding...lest I remind you. Ugh)...but I am changing rapidly. Kids do that. Not as selfish anymore!
    4. I 100% completely agree. I am certain a haircut will be necessary come May. Silly boys.
    5. Oh yes. I am a champ with pitting out.
    6. Fingers Crossed.
    7. I love you. And I can only imagine Keagan x 2 in weight. But crappy weather here means no walk.
    LOVE YOU TOO!!!

    ReplyDelete