January 19, 2011

R.S.V.(no P.)

Well, our little man was diagnosed today with RSV.  (google it for specifics)  He has had a horrid cough for over 2 months (minus about two weeks where he was healthy and happy only to have it come back with a vengeance).  Not only has he been coughing, but he has had trouble breathing and has been wheezing and his coughing gets so intense that he will shoot his stomach contents out of his mouth like Old Faithful.  It is really quite sad and has had me stressed out to the max.  He has been to the doctor 4 times in the last two months (once for a well-baby visit, but the cough and respiratory symptoms were discussed) and I have asked every time if this could be RSV.  Finally (only after switching to a new pediatrician) we got an answer:  YES, Keagan has RSV.  And it only took a 3 second swab of his nose to test for it...and a 15 minute wait period.  That's it.  Why the other doctors couldn't have done this I don't know (repeat, we switched pediatricians...if you want to know who NOT to go to, just ask!). 

RSV. This is what they warned us about in the NICU. This is what I was dreading. This is now what we are faced with. Luckily, the doctor thinks that he is dealing well with it and is managing to move air through his lungs well. This means no hospitalization at this time (as the neonatalogists discussed would happen). But it does mean he needs breathing treatments. He has had two thus far and is rather cute getting them, but he really doesn't care for it! I took some pics with the cell phone to show you all. He is being a big boy and is such a trooper, still smiling and talking and being his normal self with the added coughing and wheezing that permeates his routine every couple of minutes.


First breathing treatment in the doctor's office

 Trying out the fishy mask...thank God for Kung Fu Panda, he just watched that while getting his treatment!


1 comment:

  1. I don't like this post....Keagan is way too cute to be sick. NO!
    I think we know more than the doctors know. I hate going in there and telling them what I have. What are they getting paid for then.

    ReplyDelete