April 4, 2009

YAY! It's Tater Day!!

Benton, KY is unknown to most people, but those who know even a little about this little town know about the annual festival called Tater Day. Tater Day was started in the late 1800s as a celebration of the first day of spring, and a time when all of the townsfolk would get together and trade sweet potatoes. I don't know if this still exists today, but what does exist are rebel flags flown on the backs of redneck cars the week before and after (and during the Tater Day Parade), deep-fried-everything, flea-market type booths lining the sides of Main Street, a demolition derby, and people coming out of the woodwork to enjoy such festivities. And I do mean the woodwork. Benton is home to some 4,400 residents, but rednecks from miles around come to enjoy the festival known as Tater Day. What we've been told is that most smart people leave town during this first weekend of April.

This weekend happens to be the 166th Tater Day celebration. And being newcomers to the area, Josh and I decided to partake in the redneck festivities to get to know our new community. Luckily, Tater Day has evolved beyond deep-fried oreos, jumbo corndogs, and funnel cakes to entice others to join in the fun. They also have a 5K race (Tater Trot) and bike tours through the county (Tour de Tater). To get into the spirit I decided to run the Tater Trot. It was my first 5K this year, and it was a pretty fun one! I was a little nervous about not doing well since I have been out of training since October, but I actually ran it in good time: 25min 24 sec. It wasn't a difficult course, but the smell of grease from the funnel cake stands (et cetera) permeated the air and was kinda nauseating. Next year I plan on doing the Tour de Tater, too! The best part of the race was meeting a possible new friend (we are so in need of friends!) who ran the race. I am keeping my fingers crossed that maybe we will hit it off (we=me and Josh with her and her husband). They go to the church that we have our eye on and they are our age and graduated from MSU. Keep your fingers crossed for us!!
After the race, Josh and I decided to get a corndog and walk around the booths that were set up. It was kinda fun, something different. You just gotta look past the rebel flags EVERYWHERE!
Here's a pic of me with my new trophy shirt! I think it is so cute (Josh thinks the potatoes look like Mr. Peanut!)


No comments:

Post a Comment