November 4, 2024

Jamaica Under Water (post 3)

After snorkeling with King Julian!


the lovely gentleman who taught us how to make our new hats













Bob the Baker! He works super hard and puts lots of miles on those feet walking up and down the beach.






















Liz!!

we tried the subtle smile - I don't have it like Liz does. ha!


our second snorkel adventure - I bought a waterproof case for my phone to take pictures because we actually saw a sea turtle the first time!! it was absolutely the coolest thing ever - and I was hoping we'd see another one (we didn't though)

















I got to hold a skinny sea star





a sea cucumber!


a conch shell




trumpetfish in the reef



Julian leading us all around and showing us all the cool stuff

live sand dollar (the sand dollars there are puffy and not flat)







we walked down the beach and had the best massages!


waiting out another thunderstorm under the tiki tent - we were supposed to go night snorkeling and weren't sure it would happen...


ring ring ring ring Jamaica calling! Dog Man, Puppy man




crazy lightening strike



waiting to see if we will go snorkeling even though there is lightning everywhere - Julian wasn't phased and showed off his soccer skills


well - we went out on the boat and Julian promised us we'd be safe! It got super dark super fast and there was still lots of lightening off in the distance







see if you can spot the squid!

there he is!

look at all the dark spikey things - lots of sea urchins everywhere!


baby octopus! I actually got to hold him and he suctioned to my hand. it was the strangest feeling!

another sea urchin

puffer fish!



Julian swam down and bopped an octopus on it's head, making it ink!


we actually saw a seat turtle!!!!




an eel in the middle of the picture



we saw this cool anchor but my picture wasn't very good - this is from a daytime picture I saw on the internet.

the anchor from our trip

another internet photo of the cannon we saw because my picture is just not good!

the picture we got of the cannon

Freezing and relieved to be back on the boat! Night snorkeling is exhilarating but it was also rather scary. I know that the storm and the wind and rough current and waves made it worse than it would have been otherwise, but I kept having to tell myself to breathe. I kept finding myself awfully close to the coral reef (full of sea urchins) and Julian emphasized not being too close because the waves could push you onto it if you weren't careful. In some places the reef was so tall that I was afraid to swim over it in case the waves dropped me down onto it! But no one was hurt, we all survived, and we saw some amazing things!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment