January 19, 2013

Potty Mouth???

When Keagan was 20 months old I got the not-so-brilliant idea to try potty training. I reaaaaallllly thought it would work and that way I wouldn't have two in diapers. HA! Obviously, that idea had to be tabled as he was just not ready. Fast-forward to this summer. Keagan started to use the potty-language (not to be confused with potty-mouth...as with adults)...and started hiding when he had to poop. OH I should make my disclaimer now:
 
>>>If you are offended by potty-talk (i.e. poop, pee, a kid running around in his skivies...) then you should just wait for the next blog post.<<<
 
OK, so back to what I was saying. He started to recognize that he was having these bodily functions. I decided to strike while the iron was hot. Once we moved him to a new daycare (actually back to the original one he was at as an infant) his new teacher was letting him try pottying with his friends. The ball started rolling. One day I let him sit on the potty. He sat and sat and sat and sat and Oh My Gosh he sat for forever. Finally he peed. It was a brilliant day! We squealed and laughed and did happy dances! And he literally got it. We practiced in undies whenever we were home (diaper for public) and set up a pretty sweet reward system (m&ms for pees and Thomas Trains for poops). The poops (obviously) didn't come so easy. Once he got that (with us actually timing him and putting him on the potty ourselves), we decided to up the ante and make a reward for if he actually told us he had to go then went! And so he did this. He was chomping at the bit to make this happen and was actually making it easy on us! All the while we had in the back of our minds that we would be traveling (i.e. driving 12+ hours) to Texas for Christmas and what a kink that could/would put in our potty training efforts. So, we didn't make any big moves until we returned. [However, while on the drive down, Keagan did tell us he had to go potty twice and so we stopped. Twice he was dry and peed on the potty at a gas station.]
When we returned, I took a practice weekend in underwear...he had no accidents. Monday I sent him to school in undies. He has since had two full weeks in underwear. One accident only. And has even managed to stay dry during most naps! (we still diaper him for naps and night-time...but that will come) The most hilarious thing in all of this is that he has started to demand his privacy. I don't have any privacy when I am in the bathroom so I never imagined he would ask this of us. But we have learned that when he says "Go check on Oscar/Finn/Daddy/Momma" he has to poop. He wants us to leave so he can do his business...and 99% of the time he does!
Needless to say, we are incredibly proud of our little boy. I had hoped this would happen before he turned 3, but after the first too-early attempt I became realistic to the timing and knew it could be later. We still have lots of work ahead of us (naps and night time) but I am proud of Keagan and can't believe that we are on the brink of only having one in diapers!!
 
Here are some pictures of the events: He is gonna hate me for these pics one day. And I will for sure share them with his girlfriends. But I love his little underwear-clad bottom so much that I couldn't help but share. And, because he is obsessed with Thomas the Train Engine his underwear are Thomas imprinted. And his little bum is adorable in them!
 
Checking out what's going on...
The flush and "bye-bye"
Candy for a pee-pee!
"What do you say, Oscar? I'm in my big boy undies!"
After telling Mommy he had to go...then going Poopy!
No more diaper changes at school! And he earned a Thomas Train for a no-accident day!

2 comments:

  1. Thats awesome! You've failed to mention that when we've talked sister! Woo-hoo Keagan! I love his little skinny butt in his big boy "manties" as my cousin Alicia affectionately calls them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay K!!!! How exciting! I can't wait till we can go an entire day without an accident. We're still back and forth whether she feels like going or not. We started on a "good" reward for poops too and it has worked! Yay for bribery! Our next weekend in the Smokies we will have many less diapers to change:)

    ReplyDelete