July 21, 2012

38 Weeks, baby!

WOW! What a milestone! :) I am happy to be here...and really hopeful that I make it to 39 weeks...then baby Finn can come anytime! I was not dilated or anything at my last appointment (37.5 weeks) and this was really, really disappointing to me. I mean, really disappointing. I need to dilate on my own to be allowed to try having this baby naturally. But after a couple days of depression over no progress (thank you, pregnancy roller coaster hormones) I finally listened to myself and allowed myself relief since my doctor is actually out of the country for a week as of today! And I don't want to have this baby while he's gone (in case you didn't know this!). So, I am happy to be at 38 weeks, and am looking forward to 39 weeks...where I will break out the "big guns" to spur on labor! (Read: prenatal trigger point massage scheduled, famous-for-inducing-labor eggplant parmesan recipe, full moon on Aug 1st, spicy food, hills hills hills on my walks...etc...I might even start jogging again. This is serious business. Prayer is also good.)

This weekend is likely (hopefully!) one of our last weekends together as a family of three. Josh has to work next weekend and then the next weekend we hope to be home with Finn! (OK, wishful thinking, but you never know!) We decided to make a spontaneous trip to Missouri to go to Lambert's. It is a touristy restaurant that is famous for their roll throwing. And I do mean throwing--not tossing--like, across the restaurant! It was a fun day trip and Keagan thoroughly enjoyed himself with the roll throwing, the choo-choo train that was near the ceiling, and the fun atmosphere. I ate waaaaaaaaay more than any person ever should, but I think this is the point of this place. To be honest (and totally rude...sorry), this place is like heaven for fat people. They throw (giant, delicious) rolls at you throughout your dinner, bring you all-you-can-eat sides constantly, and the entree portion sizes are more than any person should be allowed to look at, let alone try and eat! Our drinks came in biggie-sized MUGS! And the prices are good! I mean, seriously...it is just wrong. It was a lot of fun though and I loved spending quality family time together, and then laughing together (all 3 of us!! Keagan has grown up so much...he participates in conversation now) the whole 1.5-hour ride home.


Keagan wanted to catch a roll so badly! It was funny. I would have let him try if the rolls weren't (a) 10lbs each, (b) piping hot, and (c) being hurled from 20 feet away.  

Finally, and so very unrelated, I wanted to update you on what Keagan's Big Boy room looks like now. More specifically, his new rocking chair! I had been looking for a rocking chair to go in Keagan's room for months because I was going to move my glider/ottoman into Finley's nursery. (and we still rock Keagan and read/sing to him before bed...I will do this until he is 30 if he lets me!)Problem was I didn't want to spend an arm-and-a-leg and I am really not the yard-sale person. I initially found this one on craigslist and told Josh about it. He didn't seem interested. But I also told some of my work friends about it (they humor me and listen!) and here's what happened next. I had a patient who was going to sell me her old rocking chair for $20...so when Josh didn't act interested in going to check out the Craigslist rocker, I decided I would buy the one from my patient. I lined up a pick-up day/time and drove my SUV that day (I always drive my little car for work...it doesn't chug gas), and asked Josh for $20 cash. Well, I was literally an hour or so from picking up the chair and Josh calls me and tells me not to go get the chair. No explanation whatsoever. No "better offer" type conversation. Just don't go pick up the chair. Needless to say, this really irked me because I had been searching for a cheap chair for months now. So, I call one of my work buddies, and begin my complaining about the situation and how I am not gonna have a chair now. (I am keeping this light...but I was pretty irritated) Little did I know she was texting our other work friend about the situation while on the phone with me... So, long story short, these two girls had bought me the Craigslist rocker as a baby gift!!! And they were trying to surprise me! But I threw a slight kink in their plans when I mentioned getting the rocker from my patient in an earlier conversation...they panicked and called Josh (at work!) and told him he couldn't let me buy it. :) So when the rocker showed up at my house, it was absolutely perfect! I am so thankful for all their efforts to get me this rocking chair, and love the story behind it! (I think the old man who was selling it was even in on the whole thing...was going to "pretend" it was sold if I ever called!)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds as though the trip to Lamberts was all you hoped it would be and I'm so glad. Sounds like the restaraunt of Tim's dreams....maybe we should aim to go there on our next visit.

    The rocking chair story is funny - how thoughtful of your co-workers, honestly!

    You look wonderful. As much as I love you and girrrlll...you know I LOVE you...I kinda want to hate you...your belly is still tiny (although I'm sure it doesn't feel so to you) and mine just keeps on growing. Bleh! Healthy baby boys are what matter most and thankfully it's looking like we're all going to have those Praise the Lord.

    Final countdown....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beautiful! I can't wait to see Finn's pictures and hear the birth story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Sarah (Lindsy's friend) again. I wanted to let you know about my successful VBAC experience I had with #2. My Dr was very supportive of a VBAC up until around 38 weeks. He said the baby was still high, not dilated any, or thinned out. He tried to get me to schedule a c-section. We compromised and I said if I didn't go on my own before my due date, we could do one after. He had very little faith I would go on my own.
    I started praying harder than ever. I asked God to please let me go on my own if it was meant to be. My 39 week appt came and still had not made any change. I was certain I was headed back to the OR. Well, 2 days before my scheduled csection date, my water broke! I was so excited and yet terrified that it had actually happened! I started doubting that I could do it, or that it would end up like my first.

    Well, the nurses and Dr on call were just awesome! They were so supportive of my VBAC and even though I had to push a long time like the 1st, I successfully pushed him out! I've never been so proud of myself. I loved being able to hold him seconds after and even got out of bed a little after to go to the bathroom. I could not believe how much better I felt compared to the csection.

    So, don't give up! You can go into labor at any time, even if you were just seen and were 0 cm! Keep praying and I know you will have a great VBAC experience!

    ReplyDelete