May 27, 2012

"I'm a Big Kid Now"

My first baby is nearly a baby no more. The only "babyish" thing he still does is wear diapers...and I will tackle that one when he shows interest in being ready. I am ready to quit changing diapers, but I am not ready to potty train yet! And to be honest, I am about to embark on changing more diapers for another couple years...so what's one more kid for a few more months?

My baby is sleeping in a big-boy bed now. We never intended to purchase a second crib with the arrival of a second baby, so Keagan was gonna have to transition out of the crib. Josh and I were both pretty apprehensive about making this happen...we had heard "horror" stories from parents whose toddlers used to sleep through the night until they were moved out of their cribs. This scared me. I need sleep, and really didn't want to change the good thing we had going (a good, full night's sleep for the entire family). But when we returned from our Babymoon, it was decided that It Was Time. Josh put the toddler bed together (it had sat in the box for a couple months) in the living room and we had intentions of "talking it up" and putting it in his room to "look at" until Keagan showed interest and seemed ready. Welllll....the second he saw that bed in the livingroom, he grabbed his nanas (blankies) and climbed into the bed and said "Night-night Keagan." Okay! So, I guess he gets it?! Josh and I just stared at each other with question marks over our heads, both of us aasking "What now? Do we let him try it out tonight?" 

We moved the big-boy bed into his room, in front of his crib, with full intentions of having to use his crib that night. We let Keagan decide in which bed he wanted to sleep, and he chose the big-boy bed. So, we tried it. That first night he fell out a few times, never woke up but we put him back in and he kept on sleeping. The next day he got out a couple times during nap-time, but I watched him on the monitor and caught him in the act and explained that he does not get out of bed without mommy or daddy in there.

Fast forward nearly a month: Keagan is sleeping full time in the bed, he never went back to his crib which is now in his baby brother's room. He has fallen out a couple times; we hear a thunk and look at the monitor...the kid picks himself up and gets back in, and goes back to sleep! I am bragging, and praying this doesn't bite me. But he has really done well. We sleep good. He doesn't get up. Keagan loves his bed! In fact, one day before we moved the crib out, I passed by his room and he was sitting up in his bed reading. I grabbed my camera and took some pictures...Keagan did an impromptu photo shoot for me.

Then tonight as I was preparing for this blog, I asked him if I could take some pics of him in his bed. He said "Mm-hmm!" and ran to his bed, posing and saying CHEESE!...what a ham! This transition went so remarkably well that I can only hope and pray that the next two big transitions (baby brother and potty training) go as well!

As for Keagan's baby brother...we now have a double jogger. It is huge. It was expensive. I need a Wide Load sign for it. But I can only hope that maybe I can get back into my fitness (and jeans!) quickly by pushing my boys around the neighborhood. Keagan and Oscar were more than thrilled to try out the stroller and when I looked as this picture I couldn't help but think back to a similar picture as I awaited Keagan's birth. Hard to believe these pictures are only taken about two years apart!

1 comment:

  1. Such a big boy...I so remember that night with Kennedy...half holding our breath and half wanting to cry because she was so big (aaagghh!) His "posed" pics are precious.
    Ooohhhh Oscar - such a funny lil' pup: too cute.

    ReplyDelete