Happy Ash Wednesday, everyone! Today marks the first day of Lent, which marks the period from Ash Wednesday to Easter. It is a time of sacrifice and imitation of the time in which Jesus spent 40 days fasting in the desert while enduring the temptations from Satan. Being raised Catholic, I have observed Lent as far back as I can remember. I would like to say that I observed it the way it was meant to be observed (soul-searching and repentance), however I would be lying. I mostly observed it as a way to challenge myself, give up something I absolutely enjoy: chocolate, candy, pizza, elevators, Mtn Dew, etc. Sadly, this year is unlike any other. I am, however, going to attempt to remind myself of the true meaning of Lent as I yearn for what I gave up this year: BAKED GOODS.
I have always liked sweets. But the past year has been extreme. It started with my cake cravings when I was pregnant, and baby showers always had good cake. Well, the baby is now 8 months old and I am still having these cravings. I have managed to find a reason to have cakes, cookies, brownies, etc, and this has GOT TO STOP! So, I gave up baked goods for Lent. Lord, help me. Really.
Yesterday was Mardi Gras, aka Fat Tuesday. I always take Fat Tuesday seriously...to the point of making myself sick. I ate so many cookies yesterday that today when I went to take a picture of the remnants I felt sick to my stomach (it could have been the fact that I knew I couldn't have them!). No more yummy goodness baked goods. No more sprinkles on cookies. If Jesus can fast for 40 days, I can do without these (enlarged to show texture):
Pray for me!!!
On a different note, I am training for a half-marathon. I have been in training since January, but haven't wanted to broadcast it too much b/c of my fear of failure. Josh got me a treadmill for Christmas and it has been both a godsend and a thorn in my side. A love-hate relationship, if you will. I hate getting on it, I love getting off it. I have gotten up to 9 miles in my training, but I really need to get outside and get some long runs in. The half-marathon is April 16th. I am scared to death. Luckily, my friend Courtney from Lexington is going to come and do it with me. She and Lindsy ran with me during my last half marathon (November 2009). I have about 4 more weeks to get ready....
Again, pray for me!
No comments:
Post a Comment