September 13, 2009

They're talking MILES, not minutes!

This weekend I was in Lexington for FUN!! (no studying, no class, nothing physical therapy related...just good, plain FUN) I will get to why I went to Lexington in just a moment; but "business" comes first.
As you know I am training for a half marathon, which will occur in t-minus 3 weeks. It is quickly approaching! My training schedule includes long runs on the weekend, and when in Lexington I get to run with my best friend, Lindsy (who, by the way, is training for a full marathon and raising money for St. Jude's Children's Hospital ). On Saturday morning she and I woke up at 5:50 to meet her running partner Courtney and other members of a runners club for our long run. The three of us girls decided to do 10 miles, the longest run I have ever done in my life. TEN--that is a double digit number in case you didn't know. It is half-way to 20. It is double 5. Ten MILES. Well, I was feeling all cold and nervous in the early morning light about how I would do running with this huge bunch of "professional" runners, and they didn't help my nerves when they started spatting off numbers. "How many are you going to do, Mary?" "I have to do 18" "I only have to do 16, but I could do 18 with you" "I have 20 today" and on and on. Kids, they weren't talking minutes or pieces of candy, or money. They were talking miles. Whaaaaaaaat? Wow. I didn't get much time to think about it, and we were off! The run went really well, I truly enjoyed it and it wasn't as difficult as I expected. Don't get me wrong, the last mile or so I had to mentally encourage my legs move, but just as soon as it started it was over (1 hour, 36 minutes later). I really wish I had a camera so I could share the beautiful scenery we saw on our run. Lexington is chock-full of horse farms and hills, combine this with a beautiful, misty sunrise and you get breathtaking views. I found some pics online that kind-of give you an idea, but pictures really could never do this justice.



So, like I said I was in Lexington for fun this weekend! I came in to celebrate Lindsy's daughter's second birthday. I drove up on Friday and met my friend Lauren and her little boy, Dylan, for lunch. Lauren is a good friend of mine from PT school. Here is a picture of us from our PT banquet two weeks ago:

After lunch I went and did some shopping to get my fix (since I don't get to really "shop" at home in Western KY). I then went to Lindsy's and helped to get the house and food ready for the party! Saturday afternoon was Kennedy's turtle-themed birthday party! It was so much fun and she really enjoyed it. Here are some pics from the party:


It is very difficult (and emotional) to believe that Kennedy is now two years old. Where does the time go??? This weekend, Lindsy and I were reminiscing on the day she told me she was pregnant, then Kennedy's birth (for which I was present every step of the way!), and all that has happened since then. While it will be years before Kennedy realizes how much she means to me, I hope that she will someday look back at pictures, like her mother and I do, and see a familiar face. Happy Birthday Kennedy, I love you!!

Kennedy's Birth DayHappy 1st Birthday!Happy 2nd Birthday!

2 comments:

  1. sniff sniff - wiping tears. Wow! Two years. It truly is crazy, isn't it? It just blesses my heart to hear her call you "Aunt Neenie" when you are here. Oh to have my precious little one love you as much as I do girl - it's a beautiful thing! Thanks so much for coming and rock on with your ten mile running self. So proud of how far you have come for our MSU days. You are now on the official "home stretch" to your race. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I love the Lexington area. It's so beautiful. Everytime I drive through there, I want to turn down random country roads just to look at the scenery.

    ReplyDelete